TN: Karunanidhi appeals for calm over Cauvery waters
DMK president M Karunanidhi said on Monday that the issue should be sorted out through talks only.
Chennai: Tamil Nadu and Karnataka should step up efforts to check bitterness among the people of the two states over the issue of sharing of Cauvery waters, DMK president M Karunanidhi said on Monday amid reports of some violent incidents in the border areas. Karunanidhi asked the two state governments to be alert and take appropriate action to maintain law and order so that Tamils in Karnataka and Kannadigas in Tamil Nadu are not harmed due to the dispute over sharing of the Cauvery waters.
Referring to reports of attacks on Tamils living near the border areas reportedly by Karnataka forest officials, Karunanidhi said: "The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Karnataka and AIADMK in Tamil Nadu should see to that the bitterness over the issue of sharing of Cauvery waters does not develop into enmity."
Karunanidhi said the issue should be sorted out through talks.
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- After Cross-LoC Strikes, Indian High Commissioner Summoned By Pakistan
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Modi combining best of Gandhi, Nehru to bring '3rd revolution' in India: Shimon Peres
- Israel will respond with "full force" if Syria attacks, says Peres
- Israelis form government days before Obama visit
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18