DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
TN: Prisoners threaten to commit suicide in Coimbatore
Six prisoners, detained under Goonda Act, climbed atop the roof and a tree and threatened to commit suicide.
Coimbatore: High drama prevailed for some time in the Central Jail here when six prisoners, detained under Goonda Act, climbed atop the roof of a block and a tree and threatened to commit suicide, if authorities did not stop search and raid in the cells. There are 60 prisoners detained under Goonda Act and of this, six refused to take food on Monday and climbed atop the roof of a block.
The prisoners shouted that they were being ill-treated by some wardens, who were recently transferred from Madurai, sources said. The prisoners, one of whom was bleeding on his arm, after inflicting blade injuries, said the regular searches were against the 'right to their freedom and privacy' and the authorities should stop it forthwith, the sources said.
Jail Superintendent Rajendran, who rushed to the spot convinced them saying that searches were conducted to flush out unwanted and banned things being smuggled in the jail, like mobile phones and knives and ganja, as was seized at regular intervals, after which the prisoners climbed down and went to their cells, the sources said.
Recommended For You
- When Caste Killed Community in Saharanpur
- Sehwag Blames Wife for Missing Sachin's Movie Premiere With Hilarious Tweet
- Is 'Ambedkar Touch' in Kaala Poster a Political Outreach by Rajinikanth?
- Pirates of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge Just Taps Into Collective Nostalgia
- GST Impact – Mercedes Announces Price Reduction by Upto 9%