TN: Rape accused arrested under stringent Goondas Act
The stringent Goondas Act was on Tuesday slapped on a man arrested on the charge of sexually assaulting a three-year old girl.
Chennai: For the first time in Tamil Nadu, the stringent Goondas Act was on Tuesday slapped on a man arrested on the charge of sexually assaulting a three-year old girl. Shahis, running a textile shop, was arrested along with a juvenile on a complaint from the mother of the girl that they had sexually assaulted the child on January 16 last, a police release said.
Cases were registered against them under IPC sections and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act 2012. While Shahis was lodged in Puzhal Central Prison here after remand by a court, the other accused was produced before a juvenile justice board.
Meanwhile, some non-governmental organisations have petitioned the government seeking exemplary punishment to those involved in such crimes against children. Chennai Police Commissioner today ordered the detention of Shahis under the Goondas Act in view of the crime targeting a child.
A press release issued by the police said this was the first time that an accused in a child sexual assault case has been detained under the Goondas Act.
Already, some rape accused have been detained under the Goondas Act in the state after Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced a series of measures to protect women in the wake of the gangrape of a paramedical student in Delhi.
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane
- Race to White House is Real, Not Reality TV: Hillary Clinton
- With 84 Million Viewers, Hillary-Trump Debate Smashes Record
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Pakistan Can't Take India's Restraint Granted for Long: Wall Street Journal