TN: Students' protest on Lankan Tamils issue continues
The emotive Sri Lankan Tamils issue has gained momentum following the alleged cold-blooded killing of slain LTTE chief's 12 year-old son.
Chennai: Protests by students on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue continued across Tamil Nadu on Wednesday, with law students mainly in the fray. About 40 students of Dr Ambedkar Law University and Dr Ambedkar Government Law College here continued with their fast, demanding an independent probe against Colombo for alleged war crimes besides stressing for separate Eelam (homeland for Tamils).
Meanwhile, around 100 student activists, who had gathered outside the Income Tax office at Nungambakkam here demanding action on the Lankan Tamils issue, were "secured", police said.
Protests, also in the form of fasts, by students continued in other parts of the state including Coimbatore and Tirunelveli.
The agitators were mostly law students. The emotive Sri Lankan Tamils issue has gained momentum in Tamil Nadu following the alleged cold-blooded killing of slain LTTE chief V Prabakaran's 12 year-old son Balachandran, pictures relating to which had recently emerged.
Besides political parties in the fray, students have also joined in, with eight students of Chennai-based Loyola College going on an indefinite fast last week finding quick support from parties and students.
- Watch: India @9 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- AASU Threatens to Foil BJP's Move to Extend Citizenship to Minority Communities From Pak, Bangladesh
- 2nd Test: West Indies Crumble After Misbah-ul-Haq's Near Miss
- SP Old Guard Meet Akhilesh Yadav, Bid to Defuse 'Explosive' Situation
- Donald Trump's Daughter, Ivanka, to Celebrate Diwali at Hindu Temple
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- Facebook Employees Try to Remove Trump's Controversial Posts, Zuckerberg Calls it Inappropriate
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous