Toilets to boost self confidence among women: Ramesh
The Union Rural Development Minister said it is important to provide toilet to women for their security.
Raipur: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Saturday said providing toilet to women in the country will instill a sense of confidence, self respect and security among them. It is shameful that 60 per cent of women in the country still defecate in open and there was a shortage of toilets in the country, he said.
In the backdrop of recent incidents of violence against women, including the Delhi gang-rape case, the Union Rural Development Minister said it is important to provide toilet to women for their security.
Providing toilet to women will develop a sense of confidence, self respect and security among them, he said. Ramesh asked the Naxals to give up violence and enter electoral politics if they were sincere about the development of tribals and wanted to return to the national mainstream.
There are several examples of people associated with Naxals returning to the mainstream, he said. Ramesh expressed concern over the slow pace of development activities in the Naxal-affected areas and said, "development of these areas was essential."
For the progress of the Naxal-hit areas it was important to link even the small villages through roads, he said adding, there was shortage of roads and bridges in such belts. Proper implementation of Panchayat Extension to Scheduled Area Act by the states concerned can end the problem of Naxalism, the Union Minister said.
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Digvijay Favours Dialogue With Pakistan, Insists Artists to Work in Cross Border Films
- AASU Threatens to Foil BJP's Move to Extend Citizenship to Minority Communities From Pak, Bangladesh
- 2nd Test: West Indies Crumble After Misbah-ul-Haq's Near Miss
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check