'Top Gun' director jumps to death from bridge
Tony Scott, the brother of filmmaker Ridley Scott, directed Hollywood blockbusters such as 'Top Gun,' 'Days of Thunder' and 'Beverly Hills Cop II'.
Los Angeles: Tony Scott, director of such Hollywood blockbusters as 'Top Gun,' 'Days of Thunder' and 'Beverly Hills Cop II,' died Sunday after jumping from a Los Angeles County Bridge, authorities said.
The 68-year-old Scott's death was being investigated as a suicide, Los Angeles County Coroner's Lt. Joe Bale said.
Several people called 911 around 12:35 pm to report that someone had jumped from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island in Los Angeles, according to Los Angeles police Lt Tim Nordquist.
A dive team with Los Angeles Port Police pulled the body from the murky water several hours later, Nordquist said. Scott's body was taken to a dock in Wilmington and turned over to the county coroner's office.
One lane of the eastbound side of the bridge was closed to traffic during the investigation.
US Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn told the Daily Breeze that a suicide note was found inside Scott's black Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge.
The British-born Scott was producer and director Ridley Scott's brother.
The two brothers ran Scott Free Productions and were working jointly on a film called 'Killing Lincoln,' based on the best seller by Bill O'Reilly. Ridley Scott's 'Prometheus' was a summer blockbuster.
'Top Gun,' starring Tom Cruise, was one of the highest-grossing films of 1986. The pair worked together again four years later on the hit 'Days of Thunder.'
Scott frequently worked with Denzel Washington, most recently on the runaway train drama 'Unstoppable'. Scott and Washington collaborated on four other films: 'Man on Fire', 'Deja Vu,' and 'The Taking of Pelham 123.'
In a tweet Sunday, Director Ron Howard said, "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."
Other Scott films include 'True Romance,' 'Crimson Tide' and 'Man on Fire.' Scott was married to actress Donna Scott. They have twin sons.
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani
- 'Daring Voice of India's Pride' at UNGA Wins Applause From AAP
- UNGA: Sushma Says Kashmir Integral Part of India; Asks Pakistan To Stop Dreaming
- Karnataka Parties Against Release of Cauvery Water
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- Pakistan Can't Take India's Restraint Granted for Long: Wall Street Journal
- Pakistan Approaches World Bank on Indus Waters Treaty Row With India