Top Manipuri actress arrested for terror links
She was sharing a hotel room in Delhi with a top separatist leader.
Imphal: Popular Manipuri actress Urikhinbam Devita was arrested by police on charges of terror links after she was caught from a hotel room in New Delhi with a top separatist leader, police said on Tuesday.
A police spokesperson said the award winning 24-year-old film star was arrested from Imphal airport on Monday evening upon her return from New Delhi.
"Devita was arrested and is being interrogated," the official said without elaborating on the nature of her crime.
A sobbing Devita was escorted by policewoman even as hundreds of curious onlookers at the airport looked at the glamour girl of Manipur with disbelief.
On June 16, Devita was found in a hotel room in New Delhi by a team of Manipur and Delhi police along with RK Raghunath, 48, a top leader of the outlawed Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL).
While Raghunath was arrested, Devita, winner of top state film awards, was let off in New Delhi.
According to family sources, Devita was in New Delhi for a health check up, although there was no word on how she was found sharing a hotel room with the KYKL rebel leader.
"My daughter is innocent," said Devita's mother, Umabati Devi.
Police are now investigating if the KYKL was trying to set up a base in New Delhi with Devita's help.
- Samsung Execs Meet DGCA Officials Over Galaxy Note 2 IndiGo Fire Incident
- Samsung Galaxy On8 with Android M, 3GB RAM Launched at Rs 15,900
- Indus Treaty: How India Can Use Existing Provisions to Send a Message to Pakistan
- Indus Waters Treaty: India to Use Water as Weapon to Fight Pakistan
- India to Reclaim Top Spot If They Win Kolkata Test Against New Zealand
- Cheteshwar Pujara's Kanpur Transformation Augurs Well for Team India
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Virat Kohli Offers Condolences to Families of Uri Attack Victims