T'puram: 7 cops get bail in custodial death case
A court granted bail to seven policemen accused of the custodial death of Udayakumar at Fort police station.
Thiruvananthapuram: The CBI Special Court here on Monday granted bail to seven policemen who are accused in the case of custodial death of Udayakumar at Fort police station. Former officers attached to the Fort police station - Jitu Kumar, Sreekumar, Soman, T K Haridas, E K Sabu, V P Mohanan and T Ajith Kumar - were granted bail. Among them, T K Haridas and E K Sabu were Circle Inspectors.
The accused are appearing for the first time before this court after the charge sheet in the case was filed by the CBI investigation team. The charge sheet was filed before the Ernakulam CBI court, following which the case was transferred to the Thiruvananthapuram CBI Special Court.
The incident relates to the death of 28-year-old Udayakumar in custody on September 29, 2005. The post-mortem report had said that Udayakumar was subjected to brutal torture. The accused policemen were charged with murder and destruction of evidence.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Aamir Khan's Latest TVC On Gender Equality Is Getting All The Praise It Deserves
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone
- Oscars 2017 Red Carpet: Priyanka, Nicole, Emma Are Here To Turn Around The Fashion Game
- Can Virat Kohli and Team India Respond In the Face of Adversity?