Traffic policewoman getting trained in martial arts
About 100 of the 350 female traffic cops in the metropolis are undergoing a 10-day-long basic training in martial arts.
Mumbai: Next time you see a traffic policewoman twisting, immobilising or detaining a violent motorist on the busy streets of Mumbai, do not be surprised. About 100 of the 350 female traffic cops in the metropolis are undergoing a 10-day-long basic training in martial arts at Naigaon police ground in central Mumbai. The combat practices would equip them to handle situations involving unruly motorists and other law-breakers.
"The training would also become a tool of self-defence for female Constables," said Subhash Nilewad, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Traffic-City). Explaining the reason for the training, Nilewad said there were instances when motorists argued, misbehaved with women Constables or on some occasions, they became violent.
"The judo and karate training would equip these women to effectively handle such situations both mentally as well as physically," the DCP added.
In case the law-breaker behaves violently, he/she can be immobilised, detained or subdued with minimum damage on his /her body through these combat techniques, Nilewad added.
Two batches of 50 female Constables each are undergoing the training. Once these women are trained, another 100 would be enrolled, the officer said.
The trainers are Chandravadan Gavai, Mariappa Shahapure and Kalpak Dothre, all attached with sports wing of Mumbai Police Department. The trio has represented the city police in several international and national martial arts competitions.
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh
- Samajwadi Party's Old Guard May Need Akhilesh's 'Youth Appeal' in 2017 Polls
- Samajwadi Party Rift: Mulayam Backs Amar, Shivpal; Meet Ends in Acrimony
- Kaine, Trump, U.S. Lawmakers Raise Concerns Over AT&T-Time Warner Deal
- Hillary Clinton Achieves 12-Point Lead over Trump
- Trump Supporters Hopeful, Think he is the Only Solution to US Ills
- The Camps: Split Wide Open in UP's First Family, Who Stands Where