Tremors felt in parts of north India
An earthquake measuring 5 on the Richter scale shook parts of Punjab, Haryana and Uttarakhand.
Dehradun/Chandigarh: An earthquake measuring 5 on the Richter scale shook parts of Punjab, Haryana and Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand in the wee hours on Friday.
The quake occurred at 12:47 am and was felt in some parts of the northern region.
Though some houses developed cracks in Barkot area of Uttarkashi, there were no reports of any major damage to life and property in the region which was the epicentre of the devastating 1991 earthquake that left hundreds of people dead.
In Chandigarh, officials said there were no reports of loss of life or property anywhere in Punjab and Haryana.
The tremors triggered panic in a lot of areas particularly in Yamuna Valley area of Uttarakhand with people coming out of their homes.
"We were very scared and virtually remained sleepless all through the night," said S D Ghildyal, a resident of Uttarkashi district.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Aamir Khan Is Unbeatable in Best Actor Category
- Wayne Rooney Ends China Rumours, to Stay at Manchester United
- Why Hidden Figures Deserves an Oscar For Being Relevant in Present Times
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1