Tremors felt in parts of north India
An earthquake measuring 5 on the Richter scale shook parts of Punjab, Haryana and Uttarakhand.
Dehradun/Chandigarh: An earthquake measuring 5 on the Richter scale shook parts of Punjab, Haryana and Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand in the wee hours on Friday.
The quake occurred at 12:47 am and was felt in some parts of the northern region.
Though some houses developed cracks in Barkot area of Uttarkashi, there were no reports of any major damage to life and property in the region which was the epicentre of the devastating 1991 earthquake that left hundreds of people dead.
In Chandigarh, officials said there were no reports of loss of life or property anywhere in Punjab and Haryana.
The tremors triggered panic in a lot of areas particularly in Yamuna Valley area of Uttarakhand with people coming out of their homes.
"We were very scared and virtually remained sleepless all through the night," said S D Ghildyal, a resident of Uttarkashi district.
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Movie Review: Must Watch for its Brilliant Execution
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed