Tripura to get a high court on March 26: Sources
Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Altamas Kabir and Union Law Minister Aswin Kumar would jointly inaugurate the programme.
Agartala: Tripura, which has the Agartala bench of the Gauhati High Court, would get a separate high court on March 26, official sources said on Thursday. "The Union Law ministry and Supreme court have agreed to set up a separate high court for Tripura on March 26," Tripura Law Secretary Data Mohan Jamatiya told reporters.
Dipak Gupta, a judge of Himachal Pradesh High Court has been appointed the first Chief Justice of the Tripura High Court who would be administered the oath of office and secrecy by the Governor on March 23. Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Altamas Kabir and Union Law Minister Ashwini Kumar would jointly inaugurate the programme.
Jamatiya said, a notification was issued by Rastrapati Bhavan for setting up high courts for Tripura, Meghalaya and Mizoram. Population wise Tripura was bigger than Manipur and about 52,000 cases were pending in different courts, including 6,000 in the Agartala bench of Gauhati high court, and the figure was on the rise due to shortage of judges.
The obligatory amendment of the North-Eastern Areas (Re-organisation) Act, 1971 -- the North-Eastern Areas (Re-organisation) and Other Related Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2012 -- was passed by Parliament in May last year, which facilitated the way for setting up of separate high court in the state.
- Watch: From Friend-turned-foes to Friends Again, The Saga of Mulayam and Amar Singh
- News360: Will Focus on Poll Campaign, Akhilesh Yadav Tells CNN-News18
- Akhilesh Yadav Downplays Samajwadi Party Feud, To Focus on Polls
- Samajwadi Party is United, No Rift in Family: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Tata Leadership Tussle Moves from Boardroom to Courtroom
- Tata Shake-up May Distract Group from Restructuring Efforts
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster May be Good for Tata Steel's UK Operations, Says Media