'Try one more over?' And Ishant clicked with it
Sehwag had urged captain Kumble to let Ishant bowl one more over to Ponting.
Perth: When on Virender Sehwag's insistence captain Anil Kumble asked Ishant Sharma if he would bowl one more over in Saturday's morning session in the third Test against Australia, the lanky Delhi pacer agreed and dismissed Ricky Ponting with the next ball.
Sharma had bowled seven consecutive overs and looking tired when Sehwag, his Delhi captain and a shrewd cricket brain, suggested to Kumble that he should give one more over to the 19-year-old skinny bowler.
"Ponting strike par hai. Usko ek aur over do (give him (Ishant) one more over)," Sehwag was heard telling Kumble, a conversation that the extra sensitive stump microphone picked up clearly.
Kumble then turned to Sharma and asked, "Ek aur over karega (will you bowl one more over)?" Sharma, egged on by Sehwag, agreed, "Haan, karoonga (Yes, I will)."
Off Sharma's first ball of the next over, bowled slightly outside the off-stump and rising, Ponting opened the face of the bat and it took the edge to Rahul Dravid at the first slip for a comfortable catch.
Sharma was delirious and he especially hugged Sehwag tightly. Soon, the rest of the players joined the celebrations.
Ponting's wicket made Australia, chasing 413 to win, 117 for three. It turned out to be the only wicket to fall in the morning session. Australia are leading the four-Test series 2-0
- US Asks Pakistan to Take Action Against UN-Designated Terrorist Outfits
- India vs New Zealand Live: Virat Kohli's India look to Wrap Series, Regain No.1 Spot
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- 'Deeply Disappointed' Sam Allardyce Resigns as England Manager
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18