Tsonga, Tipsarevic secure spots for ATP Finals
Tsonga beat Nicolas Almagro of Spain, 7-6, 7-6 and Tipsarevic defeated Juan Monaco of Argentina 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
Paris: Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic secured the last two places for the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals after reaching the quarter-finals of the Paris Masters on Thursday. They needed to win their third-round matches at the Bercy indoor arena in Paris, regardless of other results.
Tsonga beat Nicolas Almagro of Spain, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3) and Tipsarevic defeated Juan Monaco of Argentina 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. They will join Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray, David Ferrer, Tomas Berdych and Juan Martin del Potro at The O2 arena in London next week.
"It's really important for me to have qualified. With the big four at the moment, it's not easy to get rewards in tennis," Tsonga said. "I have some great memories from last year where I played the final against Roger. It was huge for me, one of the big moments of my career."
Tsonga will be making his third appearance at the season finale. Tipsarevic returns for a second consecutive year, having appeared as an alternate in 2011 following Murray's withdrawal due to injury.
"The World Tour Finals last year was one of my best experiences ever on the tennis court," Tipsarevic said. "I'm excited to be back there."
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Wants US Troops Out in Two Years, Willing to Scrap Defence Pacts
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Shivpal Yadav Vacates Official Residence
- India, New Zealand Sign Three Agreements
- UK PM Theresa May had Expressed Concerns Over Brexit Weeks Before Referendum
- Cyclonic Storm Kyant May be Heading Towards Andhra Pradesh
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Kill 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps
From Our Network
- Samajwadi Party drama enters 5th day: Akhilesh-Shivpal feud sparks SP-Congress alliance ahead of UP polls- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18