GET Stock QuotesNews18 APP
News18 English
cricketnext
»
1-min read

Twelve Naxals surrender in Kanker district

12 Naxals surrendered on Friday in Kanker district taking the total number of those laying down their arms to 315 this year in the state.

http://Stalkerazzo

Updated:October 31, 2014, 7:22 PM IST
facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp
Twelve Naxals surrender in Kanker district
12 Naxals surrendered on Friday in Kanker district taking the total number of those laying down their arms to 315 this year in the state.

Kanker: In yet another setback to the Maoist movement in Chhattisgarh's Bastar region, 12 Naxals surrendered on Friday in Kanker district taking the total number of those laying down their arms to 315 this year in the state.

As many as 12 ultras, carrying reward on their heads turned themselves in before Inspector General of Police, Bastar Range SRP Kalluri, IG BSF (Border Security Force) SS Chahar and administrative officials, Kanker Superintendent of Police RN Dash said.

Of the surrendered, Somnath Darro (35), who was working as LOS (local operation squad) commander in Medhki region, was the most dreaded one, Dash said.

He was involved in several deadly naxal attacks, including the ambush at Kadem village in which thee CRPF personnel were killed (2003), looting of firearms after the encounter in Mahla (2005) and attack at Udanpur police camp (2010), the SP said.

The state government had announced a reward of Rs 5 lakh for his arrest. Other naxals who surrendered were - Ramlal Dhruv, Rajau Usendi, Parshuram Hichami, Sukku Ram Vadde, Maniram Gawde, Sagaram Uika, Bajaru Ram Padda, Ghasiya Mandavi, Prakash Jain and Dev Singh, all aged between 18-37 years.

They were all active as janmilitia members, while another Gain Singh was deployed as Panidobir LOS member in the region. These outlaws were carrying a reward of Rs one lakh each on their heads, the SP added.

The rebels cited disappointment with the movement, exploitation of lower rank rebels and women by senior Naxal leaders as the reasons of their surrender, he said.

Besides, in their statement, they also alleged that senior leaders were engaged in extortion from villagers and snatching essential commodities, the SP said.

The surrendered rebels will be rehabilitated as per the policy of the state government, he said.

According to a police official, about 315 cadres have so far surrendered this year in the state and most of them are 'janmiltia' and 'sangham' members - the lower rung cadres - who were reportedly persuaded by their families and police to join the mainstream.

Read full article
Next Story
facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp

Live TV