Twitter@7: 7 years since the first tweet; 7 first-of-its-kind tweets
Exactly seven years ago, on March 21, 2006, Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, posted the first ever tweet.
New Delhi: Exactly seven years ago, on March 21, 2006, Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, posted the first ever tweet. "just setting up my twttr," read the tweet from @jack. At only 24 characters, the first tweet was way within Twitter's 140 character limit.
The reason Jack Dorsey mentions Twitter as twttr is because that was the original code name for the project. The public launch of what was to soon become the world's most popular microblogging platform happened a few months later on July 15, 2006.
It's been seven years and billions of tweets since that first tweet but within those billions of tweets there are some firsts that will always remain so. Here are a selection of seven first-of-its-kind tweets on the seventh anniversary of the first tweet.
1. The first tweet
just setting up my twttr
- Jack Dorsey (@jack) March 21, 2006
2. The first tweet from space
Hello Twitterverse! We r now LIVE tweeting from the International Space Station -- the 1st live tweet from Space! :) More soon, send your ?s
- TJ Creamer (@Astro_TJ) January 22, 2010
The first tweet from outer space was posted by NASA astronaut TJ Creamer from the International Space Station.
3. First pregnancy tweet
is pregnant. :o)
- Sarah (@velvetsarah) December 3, 2006
Sarah from Geraldton, Australia posted the news about her pregnancy on Twitter. The first known pregnancy announcement tweet.
4. First firing announcement on Twitter
I have been fired by Arrington for not removing the post comments from Loic. I will be looking for work and writing on www.vecosys.com
- Sam Sethi (@samsethi) December 13, 2006
Sam Sethi announced on Twitter that he was fired by Michael Arrington from TechCrunch.
5. First tweet by Barack Obama
President Obama and the First Lady are here visiting our disaster operation center right now.
- American Red Cross (@RedCross) January 18, 2010
The first tweet personally posted by US President Barack Obama wasn't from the @BarackObama account, but a tweet on @redcross written in the third person. Barack and Michelle Obama were on a visit to Haiti following the devastating earthquake.
6. First product launch on Twitter
Launched http://fivelimes.com even though it's pretty basic....getting it out there
- @raja (Raja Bhatia) at 6:25 AM (PST) October 28, 2006 via web.
Raja Bhatia announced the launch of fivelimes.com, a social bookmarking site for eco-friendly products, via a twitter post that he seems to have since deleted.
7. First Tweet by a user of Indian origin
Don't we love to find an Indian connection to any top lists. So here it is, the first Tweet sent out by an user of Indian origin. Nothing profound in the Tweet, but a first nevertheless.
Heading out for a day trek !!
- ThirumalaiVelu (@atvelu) July 12, 2006
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- Cyrus Mistry's Explosive Email to Tata Board Hints He Was Made a 'Lame Duck'
- Full Text of Cyrus Mistry Interview that Tata Group Scrapped
- Tata Sons Appoints Ralf Speth, N Chandrasekaran on Board
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund
- UN Chief Condemns Terror Attack on Police Academy in Quetta
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'