UB Group withdraws controversial Bhajji ad
The advertisement showed Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni mocking at Harbhajan Singh's look-alike.
New Delhi: The Vijay Mallya-owned UB Group on Friday decided to withdraw the controversial advertisement which showed Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni "mocking" at Harbhajan Singh's look-alike, which had prompted the spinner to slap a legal notice against the group.
The UB Group said that it has taken a decision to replace the ad "in the interest of the game of cricket" and fearing that the commercial could be misused by vested interests to further their own agenda.
"This gesture (to replace the ad) of Dr Mallya is based on the larger national cricketing interests, particularly at time when the Indian Team is engaged in a crucial cricket test series in the United Kingdom," a statement from the group said.
"Despite clear-cut legal opinion and the view of the management that there is no maintainable case, and further keeping in mind that the commercial can be used by vested interests to further their own agenda, in the interest of the game of cricket, Dr Mallya has graciously chosen to replace the current commercial.
"The UB Group and Dr Vijay Mallya are very closely involved with and have a significant stake in cricket and would never disparage any cricketer.
Clearly, the letter received by us has been instigated by vested interests with mischievous intent," the statement said.
The UB group and Vijay Mallya through legal counsel responded to the notice received by them from the Advocates for Avtar Kaur, mother of Harbhajan Singh.
The response took the position that from the notice itself it was apparent that vested interests have found in Mrs Avtar Kaur a soft target to further their own agenda and the smear campaign against UB group of companies and Dr Vijay Mallya.
- Despite Mulayam's Peace Efforts, Rift Widens Between Akhilesh, Shivpal
- Neelabh's Toon: Akhilesh, Shivpal Spar Creates Rift in Samajwadi Party
- Feud Won't Affect Muslim Votes, Says SP's Azam Khan, Analysts Not So Sure
- Samajwadi Party Youth Wing Torches Effigy of Amar Singh
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: South Korea Strengthen Semifinal Claim With 5-3 Win Over China
- Hockey: India's Top Five Victories Over Pakistan
- Jio MAMI 2016: 10 Facts About Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar Revealed by Cast
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control