UK: Indian gets 10-year jail term for raping TV star
Soby John raped the celebrity in a hotel room as she slept after a night of heavy drinking with her friends.
London: A 25-year-old Indian student has been sentenced to 10 years in jail by a British court for raping a TV star in her hotel room after a birthday party. Soby John, a porter, used another worker's key card to let himself in before attacking the woman celebrity as she slept after a night of heavy drinking with her friends.
John, who admitted rape, will be deported to India after serving his sentence, British tabloid 'The Sun' reported on Wednesday. Judge Alistair McCreath of Southwark Crown Court said John, an Indian student studying in the UK, deliberately targeted his victim at the London hotel because she could not defend herself.
The judge said: "She now suffers massive anxiety, is frightened of staying in hotels and has huge trust issues with people. She is scared to go out on her own and no longer feels comfortable with men. She is frightened someone will hurt her."
McCreath said: "I have no doubt you raped her because she was so drunk so she could offer no physical resistance. This degrading act was made all the more degrading by the fact you took photos of her." John, of Wembley in North London, initially told police the woman "made advances" to him which he rebuffed.
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- Uran Terror Scare: Navi Mumbai Cops Call Off Search Operation
- Syrian, Russian Air Strikes Kill 25 Civilians in Syria, Says Human Rights Group
- Navy Calls off Search Operations in URAN; ATS, Police Continue the Hunt