Unsafe Gurgaon: Two rapes in 48 hours
Two rapes within 48 hours is not all. The crumbling law and order is matched only by shabby civic services.
New Delhi: Hours after the Gurgaon police appeared to struggle to arrest the gang of six who have been accused of raping a 23-year-old woman close to the Sahara Mall, the swish township's reputation of modernity being just a facade for brute lawlessness is gathering strength. Most residents now believe their safety is only about self-initiative.
Ajay Dube, a member of the Residents' Management committee, says, "We have to arrange for security ourselves. We are at the mercy of these security guards."
Most working women in Gurgaon report random stalking, chasing on vehicles and eve teasing in public places.
Prashanti Menon, a Gurgaon resident says, "We are scared when we go back home. There is no emergency number even where we can call. Often cars overtake and stop. Thankfully, I have a driver but what about those who don't?"
Gurgaon was planned to be a marque satellite township close to the national capital. However, the infrastructure is crumbling and law and order is a constant problem.
The Sahara Mall area is the epicentre of this growing lawlessness.
Rising crime against women: A timeline
January 27, 2012: Woman allegedly beaten up by bouncers at bar in Sahara Mall.
December 31, 2011: Woman molested by mob outside Sahara Mall. Molesters clash with cops, hurl stones.
December 14, 2011: Bartender at a Gurgaon pub raped by a cab driver while returning home.
The crumbling law and order is matched only by shabby civic services.
Sandeep Jain, MD of The Solo Group, says, "This area was billed to be Singapore City. Now we don't even have basic civic amenities. I am contemplating moving to Manesar."
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal From Ministry, Mulayam Camp Expels Ram Gopal
- No Mercy: Stage Set For Big Showdown Between Mulayam and Akhilesh Camps
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- 2nd Test: Pakistan Build Commanding Lead Over West Indies
- Hockey: India's Top Five Victories Over Pakistan
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Prevail 3-2 in Pacy Encounter vs Pakistan