UNSC condemns attack on British embassy
Thousands of Iranians staged a protest before the British Embassy and 100 of them broke into the compound.
United Nations: The UN Security Council on Tuesday condemned the attack on the British embassy in Tehran and called on the Iranian authorities to protect the diplomatic staff and respect its international obligations.
The UNSC has "condemned in the strongest terms the attacks against United Kingdom's embassy in Tehran", said a statement read out by Portuguese UN Ambassador Jose Filipe Moraes Cabral, who is the council president for November.
The members recalled the fundamental principle of "inviolability of diplomatic and consular premises", and obligations on host governments "to take all appropriate steps to protect diplomatic and consular premises against any intrusion or damage," Xinhua quoted Cabral as saying.
Thousands of Iranians staged a protest before the British Embassy in Tehran early on Tuesday, and 100 of them broke into the compound.
British flags at the embassy and the British Council were dragged down by the protesters and replaced them with the Iranian national flags.
The rampage came a day after Iran's highest legislative body, Guardian Council of the Constitution, unanimously approved reducing the diplomatic ties with Britain in response to its " hostile" policy against Iran.
Britain severed all links with the Iranian banks last week as part of its new financial sanctions in the wake of a report by the International Atomic Energy Agency that expressed concern over Tehran's controversial nuclear programme.
- Trump Says Debate Microphone Was 'Defective'
- Nothing Confirmed Yet: Varun Dhawan on Working with Big B
- If Banning Actors Can Stop Terrorism, Government Should do it: Varun Dhawan
- I Will Release My Tax Returns When Clinton Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump
- Sam Allardyce Fights to Save England Job After Newspaper Sting
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Apple iPhone 7 Users: Please DO NOT Drill a 3.5mm Hole on it to Make Your Own Earphone Jack