UP: 19 killed as bus falls into a canal in Etah
The bus was full of passengers and fell into the canal at around 11 pm near Pilua area in Etah.
Etah: Nineteen persons including women and children were killed and 23 others injured when a speeding bus in which they were travelling from Farukkhabad to New Delhi lost control and fell into the Hazara canal in Etah district of Uttar Pradesh on Sunday. While all the 19 passengers died on the spot, the injured have been admitted to the Etah government hospital for the treatment. Rescue operation continued late on Sunday night and the death toll is expected to go up, said police sources. According to sources, many people were swept away in strong water currents.
The bus was full of passengers and fell into the canal at around 11 pm near Pilua area in Etah. Resuce operations started just 15 minutes after the tragic incident but till then many passengers had already lost their lives.
Eyewitnesses claimed that bus was carried over 80 passengers and allege that the driver was drunk and lost control while trying to overtake another vehicle.
One of the injured passengers, Ajay Chaturvedi, also said that the accident took place as the driver was drunk and tried to speed up and overtake another vehicle.
While several people were rescued and but due to night the rescuers faced problems in locating other victims. Police and PAC divers are still looking for the missing bus passengers.
Etah District Magistrate Lokesh M said 17 people were rescued from the canal. The administration has ordered an enquiry into the accident.
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Abhishek Verma Rejects Allegations of Purported Defence Leaks by Varun Gandhi
- Wasn't Honey-trapped, Did Not Leak Defence Secrets, Says Varun Gandhi
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18