UP: Accused are threatening us, says rape victim's family
The family say the accused are putting pressure on them through some musclemen to settle the case after taking some money.
New Delhi: In Bulandshahr some musclemen and influential people are threatening the family of the minor Dalit rape victim who was locked up by the police after she filed a complain against those who had allegedly sexually assaulted her. According to the victim's family the accused are putting pressure on them through some musclemen to settle the case after taking some money.
The victim's father was offered some money and asked to appear before the panchayat. He says that when he refused the offer, the musclemen threatened him with dire consequences. The family members also allege that they have been threatened that they will be thrown out of the village once the prime accused harendra alias Bauna comes out on bail.
The 10-year-old rape survivor was put behind bars by the Bulandshahr police in Uttar Pradesh when she approached them for help. The child and her mother had gone to a women's police station to file the complaint of the rape.
The child and her mother, who spent several hours behind the bars, were freed only after locals created an uproar. Two women constables have been suspended while two sub-inspectors, including the station-in-charge, have been sent to police lines following the incident.
The police reportedly didn't want the incident to come in front of media and even the victim's family had been warned not to speak to any newspaper or channel. Even the Supreme Court has ordered that minors and rape victims cannot be jailed, but that did not stop the Uttar Pradesh Police of locking up the minor rape victim. When the matter came to light, the police suspended two women constable and directed the SHO and SI to remain in the barracks.
After the Supreme Court intervened, the police suspended other constables and also registered a case against them.
- Unknown Person Files Income Tax Return in Kareena Kapoor's Name
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- India Should Start Talks with Pakistan: Sitaram Yechury
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income