UP: Allahabad University students clash
The students fought pitched battles with personnel belonging to police and Rapid Action Force.
Allahabad: Violence broke out on Saturday at the Allahabad University campus with two groups of students hurling crude bombs at each other and indulging in heavy stone-pelting during distribution of forms for a Uttar Pradesh government's scheme for free laptops.
The students fought pitched battles with personnel belonging to police and Rapid Action Force who rushed to the scene and used batons to quell the mob, police said adding that nearly 20 youths and six security personnel received injuries in the incident.
Trouble began around noon when a large number of students, most of them in their first year at the varsity, thronged the counters to obtain forms for availing the scheme introduced by the Samajwadi Party government wherein free laptops are to be distributed among those who have passed their Intermediate examinations.
A quarrel erupted between inmates of two hostels, apparently over a minor issue, and they came to blows even as the varsity officials tried to pacify the agitated youths.
However, violence escalated with some of the students indulging in heavy stone-pelting and a few crude bombs were also lobbed by both sides. Security personnel have been deployed in strength at the sprawling University premises though no arrests have been made so far.
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Shoe Hurled at Rahul Gandhi in UP; He Blames BJP, RSS
- Rahul Gandhi Visits Places of All Faiths in UP
- PM Modi Least Bothered About People, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane
- Race to White House is Real, Not Reality TV: Hillary Clinton