UP: Cold wave claims 30 lives in a 24-hour span
A weather official said the dense fog in the state would make things "far more difficult" in the next few days.
Lucknow: The cold wave sweeping through Uttar Pradesh has claimed more than 30 lives in a 24-hour span, officials here said ON December 27. The maximum number of deaths, between Wednesday and Thursday morning, were reported from Bhadohi district where five people succumbed to the cold. As many as four people died in Balia and three each in Allahabad, Mirzapur, Sonebhadra, Ghazipur, Barabanki, Chandauli and Azamgarh districts. Shrawasti and Mau districts have reported one death each, a state government official said.
The mercury dropped below four degrees Celsius in most parts of the state even as the day temperatures plummeted below 10 degrees Celsius. Although the thick fog cover has receded in some regions, cold winds continued to add to the troubles of the people.
The Met Office in the state capital Lucknow does not see any respite from the cold weather conditions in coming days. A weather official said the dense fog in the state would make things "far more difficult" in the next few days.
Although the state government has made arrangements of shelter homes and bonfires for the poor and the homeless, 37 people perished after the cold wave conditions set in across the state last week. The thick fog cover has also hit the rail and air traffic in the state. Many trains were running behind schedule, especially those coming from Punjab, Bihar and Delhi, a railways official said.
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18