1-min read

UP: Protesting officer evicted, taken to hospital


First published: March 27, 2012, 12:40 PM IST | Updated: March 27, 2012
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
UP: Protesting officer evicted, taken to hospital
Rinku Singh Rahi was on a fast-unto-death in Lucknow against "corruption" in the social welfare department.

Lucknow: A Provincial Civil Services officer, who was on a fast-unto-death in Lucknow against "corruption" in the social welfare department, was allegedly forcibly evicted from the protest site by the police who tried to admit him to the psychiatric department of a hospital.

"In a late night operation, police and administration removed Rinku Singh Rahi staging fast unto death at dharna sthal and he was taken to hospital," Rahi's associate Praveen alleged. "Police took Rahi from one hospital to another and even attempted to admit him to the psychiatric department, but later released him when pressure mounted," Praveen alleged. Doctors at the psychiatric department had refused to admit him, sources said.

However, Additional Superintendent of Police (East) Vijay Bhushan said Rahi was hospitalised on the advice of the doctors. "As the doctors recommended that he should put on drip, we hospitalised him. There is no question of releasing the officer as he was not arrested...it is upto the doctors to discharge him or not," he said. He has since been discharged from a hospital.

Earlier in the day, the administration officials had made an effort to convince Rahi to call off his agitation, but he remained adamant. Rahi had been assured by the administration that his grievances would be looked into, official sources said. Praveen alleged that police even lathicharged Rahi's family members and supporters, when they protested against forced eviction.

An officer of PCS allied services, Rahi, currently posted as coordinator at Bhimrao Ambedkar Coaching Centre, Aligarh, had started fast unto death yesterday to protest against alleged scam in social welfare department during his posting as social welfare officer in Muzaffarnagar in 2008. "Rahi has left for Aligarh, where he is currently posted, but will continue with his fast-unto-death," Praveen said.

Rahi alleged that during his posting in Muzaffarnagar he exposed a scam to the tune of 30-40 crore rupees in the social welfare office. Rahi alleged that as a result of exposing the scam, he was attacked in which he lost his eye and jaw was broken. "I presented facts of the scam before the senior officials of the department, but none of them cooperated. Even information sought under the Right to Information Act have not been provided," he alleged.

facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp