UP to compensate victims of rape, acid attacks
The maximum limit for compensation would be Rs 2 lakhs for rape victims, Rs 1.50 lakhs for acid attack, IG, Law and Order, BP Singh said.
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has launched a 'Victim Compensation Scheme' to provide financial assistance to victims or their dependents, who have suffered loss or injury due to crime like rape, acid attack and human trafficking. A notification for the scheme has already been issued and budgetary provisions for the same, earmarking funds separately for the purpose would be sought soon, IG, Law and Order, BP Singh said.
The scheme is in pursuance with IPC 357 (A), which calls for compensating to the victims of crime, the IG said. The maximum limit for compensation would be Rs 2 lakhs for rape victims, Rs one lakh for severe mental trauma caused by physical disability, Rs 1.50 lakhs for acid attack, Rs two lakhs for murder and Rs two lakhs for human trafficking, he said.
As per the scheme, the incident need to be reported within 48 hours of its taking place and an application would have to be moved with full details before the District legal Aid Tribunal which would then evaluate it within two months and decide whether full or partial amount has to be paid as compensation.
The IG said this scheme would also be applicable in case where the accused are not known.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 3310 to be Launched Under Rs 5000: Here’s How it Will Look
- Football Legend Pele's Son to Serve Drug-related Prison Sentence
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Alia Is Ahead of Sonam in Best Actress Category
- News18 Movie Awards 2017: Amit Trivedi Gives Competition to Pritam in Best Music Category
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology