UPSC exams: Indian Defence Accounts Service (IDAS)
The Defense Accounts Department has a history which is more than two hundred years old.
The Defense Accounts Department has a history which is more than two hundred years old. IDAS is one of the Group A Central Civil Service of India. The cadre controlling authority is the Ministry of Defense. The selected candidates' training grounds are at Bangalore, Kolkata, Lucknow, Meerut and Pune.
Cadre size: 418 posts (direct recruitment, promotion, and lateral entry).
Functions and Organization
The Defense Accounts department serves the three Defence Services, DRDO, Border Road Organisation, Ordinance factories and other inter-services organisations. The Controller General of Defence Accounts (CGDA) is the Head of the Indian Defence Accounts Service and functions as internal Financial Adviser and Chief Accounts Officer to the three Services Chiefs.
The CGDA is fully involved by the Ministry of Defence in policy formation on all matters relating to pension, delegation of financial powers, accounting procedures, changes in terms and conditions of work contracts and procedures on Internal Audit for Defence and their update.
The Financial Adviser (Defence Services) heads the Finance Division of the Ministry of Defence which comprises three main Departments: Department of Defence, Department of Defence Production and Supplies; and Department of Defence Development and Research which are each headed by a Secretary to the Government of India.
The Addl. Controller General of Defence Accounts (Audit) and Addl. CGDA (inspections) assist the CGDA at the headquarters. Five Regional Controllers of Defence Accounts who are co-terminus with the five commands of the Indian Army function at field level. Four Internal Financial Advisers are in each key service headquarters to assist the authorities.
- People Celebrated Choti Diwali After Surgical Strikes, says PM Modi
- PM Modi Urges People to Break out of SP-BSP Stranglehold in UP
- PM Modi Bats for Women's Rights, Wants Practice of Triple Talaq to go
- Bigg Boss 10: Priyanka Jagga Is The First Contestant to Get Eliminated This Season
- Amar Singh Got Akhilesh Story Planted in Newspaper: Ashu Malik
- SP's Abu Azmi Lashes Out at Amar Singh, Blames him For Crisis in Party
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits
- Watch: Akhilesh vs Shivpal Figth Over Amar Singh