UPSC: Indian Audit & Accounts Service (IAAS)
The Auditor General was redesignated as the Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG) of India in 1950.
The Indian Audit and Accounts Department has a history of more than hundred years old. The Audit Department was formed in 1860 and Government Accounting and Auditing functions were placed under the Auditor General of India. The Auditor General was given statutory recognition in 1919. The status of the Auditor General was further enhanced in 1935. The Auditor General was redesignated as the Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG) of India in 1950. The CAG's DPC (Duties, Powers and Conditions of Service) Act was formulated in 1971.
IAAS is one of the Group A Central Civil Service of India. The cadre controlling authority for IAAS is the Comptroller and Auditor General of India. The selected candidates' training ground is at National Academy of Audit and Accounts, Shimla.
Cadre size: 694 posts (direct recruitment: 67.67%, promotion: 33.33%).
Functions of CAG and other Officers:
- Conducts both regularity audit and efficiency-cum-performance audit of all units and formations of the Union and State Governments, Government Companies, Autonomous Bodies and such other organizations that are substantially financed by the Union and State Governments.
- Compilation of accounts of the State Governments and in many states, regulation and authorization of entitlements such as provident fund and pensionary benefits of State Government employees.
- Scrutiny of intricate contracts, understanding of tax and revenue laws, assessing the financial health of commercial corporations.
Industry knowledge may be required for implementation of different country-wise schemes for rural development, health services, education etc.
Recommended For You
- 'Virat Kohli Sacrificed Butter Chicken, Mutton Rolls For Quick Singles'
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 vs Lenovo P2 vs Honor 6X vs Vivo V5 Plus: All You Need to Know
- Alia Bhatt Looks Adorable Dressed As Kareena Kapoor Khan From Jab We Met
- 5 Upcoming Smartphones With 8GB RAM: Samsung Galaxy S8, OnePlus 5, HTC 11 And More
- Watch: How People Closest to Us, Transform Us in a Moment