US asks Pakistan to dismantle Lashkar-e-Taiba
This is for the first time probably the US has urged Pakistan to dismantle LeT.
Washington: The United States on Wednesday asked Pakistan to dismantle Lashkar-e-Taiba, a terror group responsible for several terrorist attacks inside India including 26/11 and attack on the Parliament. "We continue to strongly condemn the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai. We also continue to urge the Government of Pakistan to dismantle Lashkar-e-Taiba and to support regional and global efforts to combat terrorism," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said.
So far the United States has been urging Pakistan to take action against LeT and its leaders. This is for the first time probably the US has urged Pakistan to dismantle LeT. For some experts, this could be also a tacit acknowledgement of existence of LeT structure and terror networks inside Pakistan.
The strong US statement came a day after the State Department told the Department of Justice that the two former chiefs of Pakistani spy agency ISI Ahmed Shuja Pasha and Nadeem Taj have immunity in 26/11 case filed in a New York court. "It is important to note that this submission is based on one specific case and should not be viewed as a US Government determination on the merits of the plaintiffs' claims," Nuland said when asked about the determination made in this regard by the State Department and the Department of Justice affidavit filed before a New York court on Monday.
"On December 17 the Department of Justice filed a Statement of Interest and Suggestion of Immunity in this case involving the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai. I will refer you to that public filing, and to the Department of Justice for additional questions on the technical legal aspects of this filing," she said.
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham
- Surgical Strikes: Political Parties Speak in One Voice, Mehbooba Strikes Note of Caution
- SRK Turns Into a DJ for Radio Show and His First Mix Will Leave You in Splits
- Rakesh Roshan Clarifies Krrish 4 Will Not Clash With 'Younger Brother' SRK's Film
- Watch: Ground Reports From India-Pakistan Border
- India Should Start Talks with Pakistan: Sitaram Yechury
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- Pakistan's Bermuda Triangle