US: Barack Obama lights national Christmas tree
This year's giant blue spruce is new and was transplanted in October in, a park that lies between the White House and the National Mall.
Washington: US President Barack Obama and his family have flipped the switch for the 90th annual lighting of the National Christmas Tree. Obama was joined at the ceremony by TV star Neil Patrick Harris, who hosted the ceremony.
Performers included singers Kenneth 'Babyface' Edmonds, Ledisi, Jason Mraz, James Taylor and the band The Fray. This year's giant blue spruce is new and was transplanted in October on the Ellipse, a park that lies between the White House and the National Mall.
The previous tree died from transplant shock after just a year. Before that, a tree that stood for more than 30 years was destroyed by winds in February 2011.
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- Trapped Trailer Featuring Rajkummar Rao Will Leave You Intrigued
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Akshay Kumar's Jolly LLB 2 Crosses Rs 100 Crore-mark in India
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology