US: Congressional Gold Medal to Malala likely
The Bill calls to award the Medal to Malala in recognition of her service to education, justice and equality in Pakistan.
Washington: A legislation to award the prestigious Congressional Gold Medal to Malala Yousufzai, the Pakistani peace activist who was shot in her head by Taliban, has been reintroduced in the US Congress. Introduced by Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, the House Resolution (No. 60) calls to award Congressional Gold Medal to Malala in recognition of her devoted service to education, justice and equality in Pakistan.
Malala, who was shot in her head last year by Taliban for her girl education campaign, was discharged from a British hospital on Friday. Noting that Malala is a symbol of hope in a country long beset by violence and despair, the resolution says that she represents the future of Pakistan and is the new face of the country and an advocate for human rights for women.
Jackson-Lee had first introduced the resolution in the 112th Congress on November 13, 2012, and was sponsored by nearly three dozen Congressmen. Since it was not passed by the Congress, it has been re-introduced in the new Congress this week.
"Malala stood against the oppressive policies imposed upon the citizens of Pakistan by the Taliban. Her stand for education for girl and gender equality resulted in a fatwa issued by the Taliban calling for her death," Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee wrote in her letter to US lawmakers in 2012.
Meanwhile, the State Department yesterday said the bravery and courage of young Malala is an inspiration for all. "Our thoughts and prayers remain with her and with her family. And her bravery and courage are just an inspiration for all of us," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said at her daily news conference. She was responding to a question on discharge of Malala from the hospital.
- Rupee Good Run Continues, Gains 3 Paise Against Dollar
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- Soldier Inadvertently Crossed LoC, Pakistan Has Been Informed: Army
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- Watch: Big5@10 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- Watch: India @9 With Zakka Jacob
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18