US foreign policy expert calls for deepening ties with India
An American foreign policy expert said the US-India relationship is vital to maintaining a balance of power in Asia that is favorable to the US.
Washington: Obama Administration needs to address its institutional deficiencies so as to deepen its relationship with India, a prominent American foreign policy expert has said.
Observing that the US-India relationship is vital to maintaining a balance of power in Asia that is favorable to the United States, Ashley Tellis of the prestigious Brookings Institute said "deepening the partnership requires the US President Barack Obama to address institutional deficiencies in Washington, cooperate with New Delhi on Afghanistan and Iran, build up India's defence capabilities, and encourage Indian economic reform".
An important institutional improvement would be integrating the India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan bureaucracies under a single directorate in the White House and bureau at the State Department, he said.
"In conjunction, Washington ought to designate a senior official with specific responsibility for India, since it must be expected that Pakistan and Afghanistan will naturally consume substantial leadership attention in the foreseeable future," Tellis said.
The Obama Administration in the second term, he said, should seek continued Indian cooperation in achieving its strategic goals in Afghanistan and Iran. "Partly because of disenchantment with Pakistan's duplicity in counter terrorism operations and partly because of the recognition that Afghans often welcome Indian reconstruction activities more warmly than they do other international programs, the Obama administration has strongly endorsed Indian contributions to efforts in Afghanistan and urged their expansion," he said.
In the months ahead, Washington should encourage the Indian government to increase its contributions with an eye toward enabling a successful transition, he observed.
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Watch: Talking point With Arunoday Mukharji
- Kapil Sibal Exclusive: Will Cong Family Loyalists Become Deserters?
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai's Scorching Chemistry Will Make Your Jaws Drop