US: Hindus offended as channel calls deities weird
The commentary on NBC Chicago says one of the teams was swallowing up space like some weird Hindu god.
Chicago: An American television station in Chicago has offended the Hindu community after a sports commentary on its website used the term 'weird' to describe their deities.
The commentary on an ice hockey match published on NBC Chicago website on Wednesday titled 'Why a 3-1 Blackhawks Loss Isn't So Bad', detailing Nashville Predators beating Chicago Blackhawks 3-1, said Predators were 'swallowing up space like some weird Hindu god'.
Nevada-based Hindu community leader Rajan Zed, in a statement on Thursday said about one billion Hindus worldwide worshipped their deities almost on a daily basis and labelling them as 'weird' was highly hurting their feelings.
Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, demanded immediate removal of inappropriate words from the website and publication of an apology.
He stressed these deities were highly revered in Hinduism and inappropriate usage of Hindu deities or concepts for commercial or other agenda was not okay as it hurt devotees.
He said Hinduism was the oldest and third largest religion of the world with a rich philosophical thought.
Recommended For You
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- BKD: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology