US, Japan to promote trilateral talks with India
The two sides "welcome India as a strong and enduring Asia-Pacific partner".
Washington: Welcoming India "as a strong and enduring Asia-Pacific partner", the US and Japan have said they would promote a trilateral dialogue among the three nations.
The two sides "welcome India as a strong and enduring Asia-Pacific partner and encourage India's growing engagement with the region and participation in regional architectures", said a joint statement that was issued on Tuesday after the first US-Japan Security Consultative Committee Meeting held since 2007.
They would also "promote trilateral dialogue among the United States, Japan, and India", it said.
The statement was issued after a meeting among US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Defence Secretary Robert M. Gates and Japanese Foreign Minister Takeaki Matsumoto and Defence Minister Toshimi Kitazawa.
Earlier, at a State Department press conference, Clinton also noted "we talked about our efforts to improve regional cooperation in a variety of multilateral forums and through a trilateral dialogue with India".
Discussions during this year's meeting focused on the most critical challenges facing the Asia-Pacific region, Gates said. "Those include the denuclearisation of North Korea, supporting continued progress in Afghanistan, and maritime security," he said.
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- 31st October Movie Review: Has Nothing New to Offer
- Donald Trump's Campaign Says Raised $9 mn Through Live Facebook Event
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Islamic State Retaliates as Iraqi Forces Push on Mosul
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18