US Open 2013: Sania Mirza-Jie Zheng enter semi-finals
Sania Mirza and Jie Zheng entered the semis of the women's doubles with straight sets win over Su-Wei Hsieh and Shuai Peng.
New York: India's Sania Mirza and her Chinese partner Jie Zheng stormed into the semi-finals of the women's doubles with a straight sets victory over fourth seeds Su-Wei Hsieh and Shuai Peng here.
The 10th seeded Sania-Zheng pair had little trouble in defeating the current Wimbledon champions Su-Wei Hsieh of Taipei and Peng Shuai of China 6-4 7-6 in exactly an hour and 50 minutes to advance to the last four stage.
Sania and Zheng will meet eighth seeds -- Ashleigh Barty and Casey Dellacqua -- in the semi-final. Sania and Zheng were quick to seize the initiative and a single break was enough to give them the opening set.
The second set went on serve before the Indo-Chinese combination secured a mini-break and held their serve thereafter to pocket the match.
For records, it will Sania's first semi-final appearance in the US Open and her fourth overall in a major tournament. The Indian tennis ace has now reached the last four stage in the women's doubles at all the four major tournaments.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Ben Stokes Excited to Be Part of MS Dhoni's Team
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- New Audi A4 30 TFSI Review: It is Powerful and Environment Friendly
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement
- Federer wants Nadal as Laver Cup doubles partner