US: Romney to continue campaigning on poll day
Republican candidate Mitt Romney plans to woo the voters in key battleground states of Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Washington: Republican Mitt Romney will continue with his election campaigning even on the poll day on Tuesday as he plans to woo the voters in key battleground states of Ohio and Pennsylvania. According to campaign officials, Romney will travel to Ohio and Pennsylvania, which political experts said is part of his move to give a last minute edge to his electoral prospects in these two critical states.
If past is of any indication, no Republican have ever entered the White House without winning Ohio, which has 18 Electoral College Votes. While presidential candidates normally do not campaign on the Election Day, but this surprise move by the Romney campaign is not unprecedented.
The US president, Barack Obama, then as a candidate visited Indiana in 2008 on the Election Day, and the then-President George Bush visited Ohio in 2004. Both Obama and Bush eventually carried those states. According to NBC News, a campaign official said Romney would make stops in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, as part of what his campaign called an effort to "keep working until the polls close."
Romney and his wife Ann would cast their vote in Belmont, Massachusetts. President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle have already cast their ballot taking benefit of their early voting.
Obama will be in Chicago on the election day and will address supporters in his hometown later in the night when the broader trends of the election results are known. Meanwhile Romney, in an e-mail to his supporters urged fellow countrymen to come out and vote.
"One vote in one battleground state could make the difference this election. I'm counting on your intensity to help us win. We have a strong ground game and a clear message that voters are rallying behind. But your enthusiasm's driving voter turnout," he wrote.
- Triple Talaq Seriously Affecting Freedom, Rights of Women, Says BJP's Tamil Nadu Unit
- Bird Flu: Threat of Infection to Migratory Birds
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan