US: Sikh shot at in Florida in a suspected hate crime
The victim Kanwaljit Singh, 46, was attacked by the truck-borne assailants near Daytona Beach.
Washington: A Sikh man has been admitted to a hospital after being shot at several times by some unidentified attackers in the US state of Florida. The victim Kanwaljit Singh, 46, was attacked by the truck-borne assailants near Daytona Beach on last Saturday night.
Accompanied by his son who managed to escape unhurt, Kanwaljit received multiple injuries in his thigh and torso and is currently undergoing treatment at a local hospital. "Although no clear motive (behind the attack) has been established, initial indications are this shooting was not a random act. There was no previous confrontation between occupants of either vehicle," Wayne Miller, Port Orange's Assistant Chief of Police was quoted as saying by local daily Daytona Beach News Journal.
Meanwhile, the authorities said on Monday that the incident of shooting will be probed by the agencies as a hate crime. Condemning the act, the Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF) and Sikh Coalition called on the law enforcement officials and requested them to conduct a thorough probe into the incident.
Recommended For You
- 'I Keep Doing It' Declares Wembley Hero Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Oscars 2017: Complete List Of Winners
- Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone Turn The Heat Up At Pre-Oscar 2017 Party
- Oscars 2017 Red Carpet: Priyanka, Nicole, Emma Are Here To Turn Around The Fashion Game