DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
US supports India's investment in civil nuclear power
PM Manmohan Singh had recently said in an interview that 3 US-based NGOs were funding anti-nuclear power plant projects in TN.
Washington: The US is strongly supportive of India's investment in the civil nuclear power, and its support to the NGOs goes for development and democracy programmes, the Obama Administration has said.
"We are supportive as a government of India's investment in civil nuclear power. That's not what we support NGOs to do in India," the State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference on Thursday.
"Our NGO support goes for development, and it goes for democracy programmes," Nuland said when asked about the recent remarks by the Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in an interview to the Science magazine that three US-based NGO are funding anti-nuclear power plant projects in Tamil Nadu.
The US official said that the country is supportive of India's investment in civil nuclear power and the NGOs funded by it are involved in the same kind of democratisation projects.
"Are you surprised and shocked that this statement comes from the prime minister of India, and if the secretary is aware of this?" she was asked. "I can't speak to that one way or the other," Nuland said.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli and Shikhar Dhawan Turn on Delhi Swag in London
- GM Accused in Lawsuit of Cheating on Diesel Truck Emissions
- Big B Celebrates 40 Years of Amar Akbar Anthony with an Adorable Photo
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Amish Tripathi
- Sehwag Blames Wife for Missing Sachin's Movie Premiere With Hilarious Tweet