Uttarakhand: Kedarnath under debris, many people still missing
The temple railings, walls, terraces and staircases have all been washed away.
New Delhi: The holy town of Kedarnath and the surrounding valley in Uttarakhand have been severely damaged and submerged in mud and slush after unprecedented flash floods hit the area and left thousand pilgrims for Himalayan shrines stranded. The pictures tell about the cloud burst and landslide in Kedarnath.
The whole temple area is covered by debris and rocks. There is still no consolidated list of people killed and 5,000 are still missing in the area.
Kedarnath has been very severly hit and the entire area has been devasted by landslides and flash floods which occured after a cloud burst. The silt and slush left behind after the floods in the town is almost 10 meters high. Several small buildings and shops are been washed away by the raging waters.
Pictures taken from the helicopter tell the entire destruction. Temple railings, walls, terraces and staircases have all been washed away while only the main building of the temple is intact. But both inside and outside is filled with feets of mud and debris.
The evacuated people said the floods and landslides took place at a time when thousands of people were in and around the Kedarnath temple. But water washed away everything including shops, houses and people.
While it is still not cleared about number of people killed, but 5,000 are still missing in the area. Several places are almost impossible to reach as all communication links have been cut off. The NH 58, known a the lifeline of Kedarnath, has been completey destroyed.
- Karnataka Parties Against Release of Cauvery Water
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Siddaramaiah Says Not Possible To Release Water Right Away
- Cauvery Row: Release Water to Tamil Nadu, SC tells Karnataka
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Sushmita Sen Slams Donald Trump For Body Shaming Ex-Miss Universe Alicia Machado
- Sam Allardyce Exit Leaves England a Laughing Stock Yet Again
- US Driver Fined $136 For Using Donald Trump's Cut-Out To Get Through Carpool Lane