Uttarakhand: Repair roads as early as possible, Antony tells BRO
Antony reviewed the damage with Director General of Border Roads Organisation Lt Gen AT Parnaik.
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Wednesday reviewed the damage caused to roads, including the strategic ones being built along the border with China, in the flash floods in Uttarakhand and asked the BRO to carry out their repairs within the earliest possible time-frame. The recent flash-floods in Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh have caused damage to more than a dozen roads being built along the Chinese border as part of India's efforts to develop military infrastructure there.
Antony reviewed the damage with Director General of Border Roads Organisation Lt Gen AT Parnaik and asked him to take steps to repair these in earliest possible time, Ministry officials said. He also discussed the status of relief operations going on in the state, they said.
The India-China border roads have been named as strategic roads and the BRO has been entrusted with the task of constructing them. Many roads are already behind schedule and it is feared that the incident may delay the project in some of the areas by many months, they said. BRO is running several projects in the state including Project Shivalik, Project Hirak and Project Deepak and also is in-charge of the 1,300 km highways in the state.
At present, the main priority of the BRO is to repair and restore the damaged highways in areas badly-affected areas of the state. Soon after the floods, the BRO had deployed its men there equipped with heavy machinery to restore the roads to help in evacuation of the stranded people.
Ministry officials said the task to repair the damaged roads would be a herculean one as in some of the areas, mountains themselves have been washed away.
- Watch: Masand's Verdict On Tom Cruise's Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan