DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Valencia Open: Hewitt beats Monaco in 1st round
Former No. 1 Hewitt beat Monaco of Argentina 6-3, 6-4 in the opening round of the Valencia Open.
Valencia: Former No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt beat Juan Monaco of Argentina 6-3, 6-4 in the opening round of the Valencia Open on Monday, ending a 10-match losing run against top-10 opponents.
The Australian wild-card entry broke the 10th-ranked Monaco twice in the opening set and three times in the second at the indoor hard-court tournament. The loss makes it difficult for the Argentine to qualify for the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals in London.
Hewitt will next face Ivan Dodig after the Croatian qualifier beat Philipp Kohlschreiber of Germany 6-2, 7-6 (6). John Isner outlasted Fabio Fognini of Italy 6-3, 6-7 (4), 7-5, helping the American remain in the hunt for a spot at the World Tour Finals. The 11th-ranked Isner will face Albert Ramos of Spain, who beat Rajeev Ram of the United States 6-3, 6-3.
Fernando Verdasco beat Tommy Robredo 6-3, 6-4 in an all-Spanish match and will play Marin Cilic of Croatia. David Goffin of Belgium beat Pablo Andujar of Spain 6-2, 6-2.
Recommended For You
- Would Have Approached the 2003 World Cup Differently if T20s Existed Then: Tendulkar
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Manchester Arena Terror Attack: All You Wanted to Know About Ariana Grande
- Ford Names James Hackett As New CEO