Varanasi blast: re-emergence of IM worries govt
While the centre and UP govt spar over who is it blame, the re-emergence of IM is a major worry for both.
New Delhi: Even as the Centre and the Uttar Pradesh government trade charges, the Varanasi blast probe shows that the Indian Mujahideen is re-emerging as a credible threat.
Less than 24 hours after terror struck Varanasi's Dashashwamedh ghat, Uttar pradesh's anti terror squad detained 3 people on Wednesday.
Identified as Shahnawaz and Assadullah, ATS sources claim these men, are linked to the 2008 blasts of delhi as also the Batla house encounter.
Home ministry sources say an alleged IM operative shehzaad presently lodged in Tihar jail, had revealed during interrogation in february that varanasi's Dashashwamedh ghat was on the terror radar.
Sources in the home ministry said information that the Dashashwamedh ghat was a potential terror target was conveyed to the Mayawati govt as early as in march this year.
The UP DGP sources claim was it was informed about this in March so was there a lapse on part of the mayawati administarion?
Home Minsiter P Chidmabaram pointedly said the centre can only supplement security on Wednesday when he visited Varanasi after the blast.
"It is the duty of every state government to provide security to its people," he said.
The mayawati govt hit back, questioning why no actionable intelligence was provided.
"No specific, actionable intelligence was given by central intelligence agencies. To control terror we need cooperation from central government. Advisory and alerts are not sufficient," said Uttar Pradesh Cabinet Secretary Shashank shekhar singh.
While the Centre and Uttar Pradesh government spar over who is it blame, what's worrying for both is the continuing re-emergence of the Indian Mujahideen as a terror module.
This despite arrests of its operatives and claims of the front having been neutralized.
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists. They Have Visas: Salman Khan
- Rahul Gandhi Pledges Congress' Full Support to Modi Over Surgical Strikes
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- Watch: Ranbir Kapoor Expresses the Pain of One-sided Love Convincingly in Channa Mereya
- Kareena Kapoor, Saif Ali Khan Make The Most Stylish Couple; Here's The Proof
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham
- Cauvery Water Row: Centre Fails to Broker Deal Between Karnataka, TN
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan Keeps Her Look Casual For Her Recent Public Appearance