'Vazhakku En 18/9', 'Eega' wins best regional films
Directed by Balaji Sakthivel, 'Vazhakku En 18/9' was named the best feature film in Tamil.
Chennai: Critically acclaimed Tamil teen crime thriller 'Vazhakku En 18/9' and Telugu blockbuster revenge drama 'Eega' were named 2012's best feature films in their respective languages, in the 60th National Film Awards.
Directed by Balaji Sakthivel, 'Vazhakku En 18/9' was named the best feature film in Tamil. It also won the award for best make-up artist by Raja. It is the story of modern-day youth, whose lives are shackled by sex, lies and crime. The film was also awarded the best film in the South Asian Film Festival this year.
Made on a shoestring budget, the film starred all newcomers such as Mithun Murali, Sri, Urmila Mahanta and Manisha Yadav.
Meanwhile, SS Rajamouli directed 'Eega' was one of the most successful Telugu films of 2012. It was awarded the best feature film in Telugu.
Starring Nani and Samantha Ruth Prabhu, it was the story of a young man being rechristened as a housefly to avenge his killer. Other Tamil films that were honoured with the National award include 'Vishwaroopam' for art direction and best cinematography.
Poornima Ramaswamy won the best costume designer award for 'Paradesi'.
- Eight Killed in Firecracker Mishap at Sivakasi
- Watch: Kapil Sharma Leaves ADHM Cast in Splits
- Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai's Scorching Chemistry Will Make Your Jaws Drop
- The Break up Song in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Promotes Women Empowerment: Karan Johar
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 6: Salman Khan Loves Lokesh's Funny Antics
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn