Vegetable vendor sets his wife on fire over dowry demands.
In her dying declaration, Anju told the police about the dowry harassment and the incident.
Mumbai: City police on Sunday booked a man alongwith his parents for allegedly setting his 24-year-old wife afire over dowry demands. A case has been registered against one Manoj Gupta, a vegetable vendor and his parents, who live in Goregaon, for allegedly setting his wife, Anju, afire after she failed to meet their dowry demands, police said.
Soon after their marriage about a year ago, Manoj started demanding Rs 8 lakh dowry to clear off his debts, police said adding that on many occasions, Manoj had beaten her over the issue. Even his family members were harassing Anju over that. According to police, Anju was set ablaze at their house in Goregaon on Saturday. After hearing her cries, their neighbours rushed to the scene and she was taken to a government hospital. But she succumbed to her injuries on Sunday.
However, in her dying declaration, Anju told the police about the dowry harassment and the incident. Following this, a case was registered against her husband and in-laws, who are now absconding, they added.
- Pakistan Approaches International Court of Justice Over Indus Waters Treaty
- Attempt to Block Islamabad's Share of Water "Act of War": Sartaj Aziz
- Indus Treaty: How India Can Use Existing Provisions to Send a Message to Pakistan
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Trump Says Debate Microphone Was 'Defective'
- I Will Release My Tax Returns When Clinton Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump
- The First Hillary Clinton-Donald Trump Presidential Debate
- US Presidential Debate: Bollywood Stars Share Their Opinions on Twitter