Vegetable vendor sets his wife on fire over dowry demands.
In her dying declaration, Anju told the police about the dowry harassment and the incident.
Mumbai: City police on Sunday booked a man alongwith his parents for allegedly setting his 24-year-old wife afire over dowry demands. A case has been registered against one Manoj Gupta, a vegetable vendor and his parents, who live in Goregaon, for allegedly setting his wife, Anju, afire after she failed to meet their dowry demands, police said.
Soon after their marriage about a year ago, Manoj started demanding Rs 8 lakh dowry to clear off his debts, police said adding that on many occasions, Manoj had beaten her over the issue. Even his family members were harassing Anju over that. According to police, Anju was set ablaze at their house in Goregaon on Saturday. After hearing her cries, their neighbours rushed to the scene and she was taken to a government hospital. But she succumbed to her injuries on Sunday.
However, in her dying declaration, Anju told the police about the dowry harassment and the incident. Following this, a case was registered against her husband and in-laws, who are now absconding, they added.
Recommended For You
- Dhoni Motivates Jharkhand Teammates in Unique Style
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- Premier League Champions Leicester City Sack Manager Claudio Ranieri
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Black Colour Variant to Be Available from March 1