Venus beats Mattek-Sands to reach 2nd round
Williams defeated fellow American Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-3, 6-1.
New York: Venus Williams overcame an early deficit for an easy win in her return to the US Open.
The seven-time Grand Slam champion pulled out of the tournament before her second-round match last year because of an autoimmune disease. Williams was back on Tuesday, and she beat fellow American Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-3, 6-1.
Williams, unseeded with a ranking of No. 46, was broken in her first game. But after going down 0-2 in the first set, she won 12 of the last 14 games.
She'll next face sixth-seeded Angelique Kerber.
Mattek-Sands is ranked 212th after a series of injuries this year and got in on a wild card.
Recommended For You
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Baahubali 2 Motion Poster Indicates Just How Epic the Film Is Going to Be
- BKD: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- Oscars 2017: Of Androgynous Fashion Moments at Red Carpets