DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Venus beats Mattek-Sands to reach 2nd round
Williams defeated fellow American Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-3, 6-1.
New York: Venus Williams overcame an early deficit for an easy win in her return to the US Open.
The seven-time Grand Slam champion pulled out of the tournament before her second-round match last year because of an autoimmune disease. Williams was back on Tuesday, and she beat fellow American Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-3, 6-1.
Williams, unseeded with a ranking of No. 46, was broken in her first game. But after going down 0-2 in the first set, she won 12 of the last 14 games.
She'll next face sixth-seeded Angelique Kerber.
Mattek-Sands is ranked 212th after a series of injuries this year and got in on a wild card.
Recommended For You
- Would Have Approached the 2003 World Cup Differently if T20s Existed Then: Tendulkar
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- IPL 2017: Mumbai Indians Thank 'Nani' For Thrilling Victory
- With An Arched Brow, Roger Moore Found Humor In Bond, Life
- Ford Names James Hackett As New CEO