Venus goes past Alize Cornet into round three
The seven-time Grand Slam champion beat her French opponent 6-3, 6-3 in the Australian Open.
Melbourne: Seven-time Grand Slam singles champion Venus Williams beat Alize Cornet of France 6-3, 6-3 Wednesday to advance to a third-round match against Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open.
The 25th-seeded Williams took advantage of a double-fault on set point by Cornet to take the lead, then fought back from a service break down in the second set to win in 1 hour, 17 minutes.
Sharapova, last year's finalist here, has not dropped a game in posting double-bagel wins over her opponents in the first two rounds, including Misaki Do of Japan on Wednesday.
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- PM Modi Appreciates Those Revealing Undisclosed Income
- UN Chief Offers to Mediate Between India, Pak to De-escalate Tension
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Govt Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Box Office Collection Crosses Rs 21 Crore on Day 1
- Watch: Masand's Verdict on MS Dhoni: The Untold Story