Venus goes past Alize Cornet into round three
The seven-time Grand Slam champion beat her French opponent 6-3, 6-3 in the Australian Open.
Melbourne: Seven-time Grand Slam singles champion Venus Williams beat Alize Cornet of France 6-3, 6-3 Wednesday to advance to a third-round match against Maria Sharapova at the Australian Open.
The 25th-seeded Williams took advantage of a double-fault on set point by Cornet to take the lead, then fought back from a service break down in the second set to win in 1 hour, 17 minutes.
Sharapova, last year's finalist here, has not dropped a game in posting double-bagel wins over her opponents in the first two rounds, including Misaki Do of Japan on Wednesday.
Recommended For You
- India vs Australia: Top 5 Controversies Over the Years
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Poll: Which Is the Best Vishal Bhardwaj Film Till Date?
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- Comedian Bharti Singh All Set to Tie the Knot by the End of 2017