Vesnina overpowers Hampton to take Eastbourne title
Vesnina won in straight sets - 6-2, 6-1 - denying Jamie Hampton's bid to become the first American woman to take the title since Chanda Rubin in 2003.
Eastbourne: American qualifier Jamie Hampton's remarkable run at Eastbourne ended in defeat Saturday against Elena Vesnina of Russia in the final of the Wimbledon warm-up.
Vesnina won in straight sets - 6-2, 6-1 - denying Hampton's bid to become the first American woman to take the title since Chanda Rubin beat Conchita Martinez in 2003.
Vesnina, who lost the first six finals of her career, has now won her last two after victory in Hobart in January.
The 41st-ranked Hampton was playing in her first career final after upsetting fourth-ranked Agnieszka Radwanska and ninth-ranked Caroline Wozniacki.
The grass-court match was played in windy conditions that led to Vesnina receiving a time violation warning early in the second set as she waited to serve.
Hampton failed to take advantage of two break points at 2-2 in the first set before Vesnina broke to lead 4-2 with a backhand slice, and the American wasted three more break points as Vesnina served for 5-2.
In the second set Vesnina broke for 2-0 on her fourth break point in a game that stretched to eight minutes, and a further break for 5-1 left the Russian serving for victory.
Hampton faces fellow American Sloane Stephens in the first round at Wimbledon.
Feliciano Lopez plays Gilles Simon in the men's final later Saturday.
- India Should Start Talks with Pakistan: Sitaram Yechury
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- India 'Hiding' Casualties in Surgical Strike, Says Pakistan Army
- India's Claim of Surgical Strike False: Pakistan to UN Chief
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Government Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Chairs All-Party Meet, Gowda Sits on Dharna
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water