Vettel takes pole position at US Grand Prix
Vettel's fastest lap for Red Bull was 1 minute, 35.657 seconds.
Austin: Sebastian Vettel secured pole position for the US Grand Prix, putting him in the perfect spot to chase his third consecutive Formula One championship.
Driving on the new USD 400 million Circuit of the Americas, Vettel dominated three practice sessions before securing the pole on Saturday with a blistering round of qualifying. Vettel's fastest lap for Red Bull was 1 minute, 35.657 seconds.
Ferrari's Fernando Alonso was a distant ninth in qualifying, 1.643 seconds slower than Vettel. Alonso trails Vettel by 10 points in the drivers' championship.
If Vettel wins on Sunday, Alonso must finish no worse than fourth to force the championship title race to the final race of the season next week in Brazil.
Sunday's race will be F1's first in the US since 2007.
Recommended For You
- IPL 2017: Hyderabad Pacer Siraj Says "Want to Take Virat Kohli's Wicket"
- 2017 Audi A3 Facelift First Drive Review: The Future is Cylinder on Demand
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- Two-Minute Silence For Ranveer Singh's Appearance at Shahid Kapoor's Pre-birthday Party
- Porter's Son Thangarasu Natarajan: From Tennis Ball Star to IPL Big Bucks