Victoria Azarenka through to second round
Victoria Azarenka has opened the defense of her Australian Open title with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Monica Niculescu.
Melbourne: Victoria Azarenka has opened the defense of her Australian Open title with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Monica Niculescu of Romania. Azarenka powered to a 4-0 lead in the opening set over Niculescu, who is winless in singles tournaments on the WTA Tour.
The top-seeded Azarenka was down a service break and trailed 3-0 in the second set before coming back to level the set at 4. She then broke Niculescu's serve in the ninth game before serving out Tuesday's match.
Azarenka could meet No. 3 Serena Williams, who also won Tuesday, in the semifinals at Melbourne Park.
- Hillary Vs Trump: US Dollar Declines Before Presidential Debate
- US Presidential Debate Live: I Will Release Tax Returns if Hillary Releases Deleted Emails, Says Trump
- US Presidential Candidates Neck and Neck as They Go Toe-To-Toe
- Indian Minister Disowned UN Resolutions in Speech: Pakistan
- Indus Waters Treaty: India to Use Water as Weapon to Fight Pakistan
- Indus Water Treaty: Blood and Water Cannot Flow Together, Says PM Modi
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ajit Doval, Jaishankar Attend Indus Waters Treaty Meet Chaired by PM Modi