Mumbai: Army to hold Vijay Diwas celebrations
The Army is also organising a 'Know Your Army Mela' to reach out to people and to show its military might.
Mumbai: The Indian Army will be holding an event at Shivaji Park, Mumbai to observe Vijay Diwas, honouring the martyrs of the 1971 Indo-Pak war. 93,000 Pakistani troops led by General Amir Aabdullah Khan Niazi surrendered to the Indian army on this day.
The Army through 'Know Your Army Mela' would also try to reach out to people and would show its military might. "Through Army Mela we will show to the people what all equipment we have and will also try to encourage the youth to join the Indian Army," Major General Rajesh Bawa, General Officer Commanding, Mumbai Sub Area, had said.
Military bands will be displayed at Gateway of India, Chowpatty and at Radium Mall. Problems of ex-servicemen's residing in Mumbai and nearby areas will also be addressed in the Mela. Youth will also be told about the benefits of joining the Army.
The Chief guest for the preliminary function is Mohit Shah, Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court, while Maharashtra Governor K Sankarnarayanan is the chief guest for the main function on 16. People from the metropolis can have a look at motor cycle display by Army, sky-diving, 'malkhamb' and aero-modelling display by the National Cadet Corps cadets, Major General Bawa added.
Around 1,500 Army personnel from across the state are participate in the three-day programme, which was last held at the Shivaji Park grounds in 2003. Lamenting about the shortfall of officers in the Indian Army he said, "maximum recruitment in Indian Army is from Maharashtra. We want to fill the shortfall at the officers category. There is not much shortfall in soldiers category," he said.
(With Additional Input from PTI)
- Houston Shooting: At least 9 Injured, Gunman Dead
- Glad Tutak Tutak Tutiya Being Compared With Bhool Bhulaiyaa: Prabhu Deva
- Prabhu Deva is the Sweetest Person in the Industry: Farah Khan
- Ramdev Plans World Class Varsity in India
- Former Israeli Prime Minister, Nobel Prize Winner Shimon Peres Passes Away
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Shoe Hurled at Rahul Gandhi in UP; He Blames BJP, RSS
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test