Vijender Singh welcome to join camp any time: SAI
Vijender Singh has tested negative for all prohibited substances and has been given clean chit by NADA.
Patiala: The Sports Authority of India (SAI) has no issues on Olympic bronze medallist boxer Vijender Singh joining the camp here any time as he has got clearance from the NADA. SAI director general Jiji Thomson told reporters here on Thursday that Vijender can join the camp anytime now.
"He has been given clean chit by NADA and therefore we absolutely have no issues with him. He is currently on leave but can join the camp any day he wants," said Thomson. The SAI DG undertook his maiden visit at the NIS, Patiala, on Thursday to overview the working of the institute.
He said since Vijender has tested negative for all prohibited substances, including heroin, there was no question of doubting his credentials as far as consuming heroin was concerned. But, SAI has decided to begin the scientific monitoring of players and coaches so as to avoid any such controversy in future, he said.
Vijender found himself embroiled in a drug scandal after his name cropped up when the police recovered 26 kg of heroin from an NRI's house in Shivalik Vihar in Zirakpur on March 7. The presence of a car used by Vijender's wife Archana near the NRI's house raised doubts.
On April 1, Punjab Police said Vijender allegedly bought heroin for personal consumption on 12 different occasions from a Canada-based NRI drug dealer. The police had said that the heroin was first allegedly procured by Vijender's sparring partner Ram Singh in December from alleged drug dealer Anoop Singh Kahlon.
Vijender was initially reluctant to provide samples for tests, but after the sports ministry insisted, the boxer relented. The Olympic bronze medalist has been skipping training and was subsequently dropped from the national team.
- Directors Trust Me Because I am a Curious Actor: Sushant Singh Rajput
- Dhoni Applauds Sushant Singh Rajput's Performance In MS Dhoni: The Untold Story
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Indian Army Chief Arriving in J&K to Review Security Situation
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes